[Dovecot] expire tool question

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Wed Nov 26 18:17:22 EET 2008

Hi, I try to get expire working, with the BDB backend and mbox mailboxes.

If I try to invoke the expire-tool like

 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail ext
/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool --test

I get

[root at m ~]# /usr/local/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail ext
/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool --test
Error: read(/var/run/dovecot/dict-server) failed: Remote disconnected

Hmm. I searched for hints but could not find a related discussion or
problem.
Here are the relavant config parts:

dict {
  expire = db:/var/lib/dovecot/expire.db
}

plugin {
# expire plugin
expire_dict = proxy::expire
expire = backup 7 spam 30
# If you have a non-default path to auth-master, set also:
auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
}

Any ideas? Has anybody got this working ? The file
/var/lib/dovecot/expire.db doas not exit even though I restarted DC
quite a while ago.

Regards,
Jakob