[Dovecot] expire tool question

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Wed Nov 26 21:57:10 EET 2008

I myself wrote:
> Hi, I try to get expire working, with the BDB backend and mbox mailboxes.
> (...)
> [root at m ~]# /usr/local/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail ext
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/expire-tool --test
> Error: read(/var/run/dovecot/dict-server) failed: Remote disconnected
>
> Hmm. I searched for hints but could not find a related discussion or
> problem.
> Here are the relavant config parts:
My first finding is that I need to enable db when doing ./configure. Now
I see a berkeley database tree in the /var/run/dovecot/ directory.
However this has the timestamp of the last restart and does not change
even when I access one of my expire-configured folders (backu and spam).
Should the DB not be updated every time I access one of these folders? I
have no namespaces and the folders are directly in the user's home dirs.

But at least the expire-tool now runs silently. Totally silently. No
output at all....

Comments welcome.

JC