[Dovecot] Help - I keep getting LSUB permission denied

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 6 20:41:54 EEST 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Don Steiny wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Oct 6, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Don Steiny wrote:
>>
>>> a02 LSUB "" "*"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "Trash"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "Junk"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "Sent"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "Junk E-mail"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "INBOX/Sent"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "INBOX/Trash"
>>> * LSUB () "/" "INBOX/Drafts"
>>> a002 NO Permission denied
>>
>> Anything in error logs? Post your dovecot -n output?
>>
> No, nothing in the error logs, but here is the -a output. I tried to
> upgrade, but I am using Debian and have been trying to just use the
> released packages. It will take a bit of work to get it to compile
> here
> because the pathnames are very different. For instance, it can't find
> libeopenssl in the configure step so I have to figure out the best way
> to deal with that.  I have been hunting for a newer Debian release.

backports.org has newer releases.

> namespace:
>  type: private
>  separator: /
>  prefix:
>  location: maildir:~/Maildir
>  inbox: yes
>  hidden: no
> namespace:
>  type: shared
>  separator: /
>  prefix: FB12/
>  location: mbox:/var/export/mailfb12:INDEX=/var/export/dovecot/%u
>  inbox: no
>  hidden: no

The problem is most likely that Dovecot tries to read the shared
namespace's subscriptions from /var/export/mailfb12/.subscriptions
file and that's not working too well since the same file is shared by
all users. There's really no good way to handle this situation with
v1.0 + mbox format. I guess the best you could do is to make sure that
no-one has write accesss to the mailfb12 directory so no-one can
modify the .subscriptions file (because the file is modified by
recreating it, so the directory +w permission matters, the file's +w
permission doesn't). Then you'll make the file contain all the
mailboxes and make it world-readable.

Or you could see if backports.org has a v1.1 release and set
subscriptions=no to the shared namespace. Although with mboxes you
should be using v1.1.4 release since it fixes several bugs.