[Dovecot] Request for help with new plugin

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 18 19:22:49 EEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 11:49 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 10/18/2008, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> >> 3. Is SAVE_DATE the correct field to be looking for here?  I want the
> >> expiration to be based on the amount of time the letter has spent in
> >> the trash folder.
>
> > Yes.
>
> I'm not a prgrammer, so would have zero success answering this myself
> from looking at the code, but just want to clarify...
>
> In this case, SAVE_DATE mean the dat/time the message was originally
> delivered? Or does it mean the date/tim the message was simply moved to
> the TRASH?

It's the date/time of when the message was saved/copied to that
particular mailbox.

Since Maildir doesn't itself support save_date, Dovecot uses file's
ctime as the save_date. So it may change if the ctime changes (e.g.
message flags change). But the save_date is also added to Dovecot's
cache file, so once it's looked up it shouldn't change (unless cache
file gets deleted or something). Anyway I don't think this should cause
any real problems.