[Dovecot] displaying IMAP folders that are in ~/mail/ at same level as inbox

David London d.london at live.com
Wed Oct 22 05:04:15 EEST 2008

> David London a écrit :
> > In the existing system I can see IMAP folders that are in ~/mail/
> > with many mail clients (e.g. Thunderbird, Outlook, Seamonkey and
> > horde).  These folders are presented in the client software as being
> > at the same level as the inbox - i.e. not inside the folder "mail"
> >
> > On the new system, horde webmail shows the other folders in ~/mail/
> > as being at the same level as the inbox.  But ... all the other mail
> > clients above now show a folder (directory) called mail with the imap
> > folders inside.
> >
> > Is there some way to set this up so these other mail clients see the
> > imap folders in ~/mail/ as being at the same level as the inbox as we
> > have on the old server?
>
> Basically, you need to use the mail_location in dovecot.conf, as such:
> mail_location =  mbox:~/mail
>
> You might also need to check the files ~/.mailboxlist, used by UW-IMAP,
> and ~/mail/.subscriptions, used by Dovecot. They contain the list of
> subscribed directories, relative to the root defined. For me, they were
> identical enough that I simply did a hardlink from one to another.
>
> HTH,
>
> Laurent

Thanks Laurent (and Charles re the age of the dovecot software),

It looks like we've got what you say is needed (see configuration file below).  In addition the test
accounts are brand new ones on the test system, not ones that have been
moved over so .mailboxlist is not there - just .subscriptions

Maybe what I'm trying to do is just not possible ...

The configuration file looks like this:
dovecot -n

# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/indexes/%1u/%u:
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
auth default: