[Dovecot] Backing Up

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:00:35 EET 2008

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
>>> What is the best way to do a (server-side) backup of all mail in a
>>> user's mail?
>>>
>> I usually just rsync the /home directories to another server. The
>> inital sync
>> can take a while, but it gets faster after there is a base to work from.
>
>   ...and it's much less painful if you're using maildir instead of mbox!
>
>            -Dave

I have to wonder.  I have a mailserver that I do a bootable complete
image copy of with all files and O/S in two hours to an Ultrium-2 tape,
95 GB.  When I switch to maildir, I will go from some 25,000 mbox files
to 2.5 to 3 million files...I can't believe that isn't going to hurt and
will force me into incrementals.....