[Dovecot] Backing Up

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Oct 30 15:51:04 EET 2008

Calvin Gordon wrote:
> I use the tar/bzip method, and have been wondering about the rsync.  All
> my users have system accounts on the dovecot server, and use Maildir
> format.  If i rsync the mail to another box where the users do not have
> system accounts, will the ownerships/ permissions etc. be goofed up ?
>
> Correctly, or incorrectly, I've been using tar to preserve all that
> information.

rsync preserves all that too, but you should preserve uid->username and
gid->groupname mappings too, otherwise all that information is not as
useful. Saving the password files is usually sufficient, assuming you
are doing backups for disaster recovery, and not just for the occasional
restore after an "oops, I deleted all my mail!" phonecall.

rsnapshot is nice too. It uses rsync and hard links to make as many
snapshots of the filesystem as you like. This creates many 'restore
points' with total disk usage being just over what a single full backup
would take.

Ken

--
Ken Anderson