[Dovecot] error in 1.1.2

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 9 12:05:26 EEST 2008

> >They often say it took a while to get the error, and some people are
> >suggesting it's only with large emails. So it could be a PHP timeout
> >related bug, although im not positive.
> >
> >I dont think it's a coincidence that every single person that
> >complaints
> >has that set of errors in the dovecot error log. Over the past week
> >ive found
> >1800 seperate users, and thats still only a fraction of our total
> >user base.
>
> If copying a single mail takes longer than the dotlocking timeout,
> another process may have overridden the lock file and caused errors.
> And since it took so long, maybe PHP or something timed out.
>
> This should help figuring out if the problem is due to timeouts:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/241097889792

FYI, im getting the same problem on local FS if i use dotlocking. Ive
switched one server back to local FS indexes and im still getting this
error. So far it looks like the error disappears if I switch to fcntl
(and mmap/fsync back to normal)

Sep  9 10:54:17 userimap1 dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxx): rename(/usr/local/var/dovecot-index/m/ms/xxxxxx/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache.lock, /usr/local/var/dovecot-index/m/ms/xxxxxx/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache) failed: No such file or directory
Sep  9 10:54:17 userimap1 dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxx): file_dotlock_replace() failed with index cache file /usr/local/var/dovecot-index/m/ms/xxxxxx/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache: No such file or directory

It's still possible that 2 processes hit the same lockfile, but at least it's
not possibe that 2 different machines do.

I'll do the following, unless you say different.

- keep one server on local indexes with fcntl
- set one server up with the previous patch you sent me
- set one server up with timeout patch
- upgrade one server to 1.1.3.

Where is this dotlocking timeout configured anyways?

Cor