[Dovecot] NFS performance and 1.1.3 - what can you (unofficially) get away with?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 10 21:31:21 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 10:58 -0700, Jack Stewart wrote:
> The question is has anyone, with Maildir and the INDEX= on NFS (i.e.
> dovecot.index and dovecot.index.cache, set mail_nfs_index to no.

How much worse is the mail_nfs_index=yes? Last I heard it made hardly a
difference.

> If so,
> was it better to turn maildir_copy_preserve_filename to on or did it
> help to turn if off.

That shouldn't make a noticeable performance difference. If it's "yes"
it does one more uidlist lookup, but pretty much always the uidlist is
already in memory in any case so it doesn't matter.

> The other question is did you play with turning off
> atime updates or changing the acmin* values?

Dovecot doesn't care about atimes, so feel free to disable them.

> I figure that the worst that can happen is that the dovecot.index.cache
> file will become corrupt, and dovecot will then rebuild it.

It's not the worst that can happen, but index file errors are probably
more likely than other errors..