[Dovecot] NFS performance and 1.1.3 - what can you (unofficially) get away with?

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Sep 10 21:44:42 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> I figure that the worst that can happen is that the dovecot.index.cache
>> file will become corrupt, and dovecot will then rebuild it.
>>

> It's not the worst that can happen, but index file errors are probably
> more likely than other errors..

I concur!   I currently run one backend NFS server with Dovecot
installed on it.  In the process of testing adding another dovecot
front-end server, mounting homedirs via NFS, I managed to delete my
entire Inbox!

How?   Dovecot on box1 was using local access, and box2 was using NFS.
I connected to the same account via both dovecots (imap) at the same
time.  On box 2 I read my mail and deleted a couple just fine. Then went
back to box 1, deleted another and the expunge wiped everything out.

Lucky for me I do zfs snapshots nightly and this was right away in the
morning.

I now have a local NFS mount on box1 to allow for box2 (It's FreeBSD, so
it still doesn't work right, but at least it errors out 'gracefully' now).

Rick