[Dovecot] Outlook 2003 and Thunderbird IMAP + getting new headers

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 10 21:45:29 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 10:29 +0200, Jan van den Berg wrote:
> We run 1.1.3 and I use Outlook to connect to my IMAP box and a couple of
> times per day (randomly) when I click certain folders IMAP will start
> retrieving ALL headers for that folder again ('retrieving new headers')!

Typically that means that the mailbox's UIDVALIDITY has changed. Or the
messages get assigned new UIDs for some reason (e.g. Dovecot sees that
they're gone, later sees them again). You could verify these by using
e.g. rawlog (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog) and seeing if the
UIDVALIDITY value after SELECT command changes and if the returned UIDs
get changed.

Do you do anything on the server with dovecot-uidlist files? Or
dovecot.index* files? Like deleting them once in a while as someone was
doing in a cron job? :)