[Dovecot] Using deliver with postfix

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Fri Sep 19 11:22:40 EEST 2008

Rich Winkel wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to set up dovecot 1.1.2 and postfix 2.5.4 on freebsd 7.0.
> I'm getting permissions problems on auth-master and I'm not sure of the
> correct settings to use.
>
> In postfix's main.cf I have
> mailbox_command=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d $USER
>
> In dovecot.conf I have:
> socket listen {
>    master {
>          path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>          mode = 0660
>          user = dovecot
>          group = postfix
>    }

leave the master as it was and add a client for postfix:

     client {
       path = /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot
       mode = 0660
       user = postfix
       group = postfix
     }

then configure your postfix to use private/dovecot

> # ls -l /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
> srw-rw----  1 dovecot  postfix  0 Sep 18 18:26 /var/run/dovecot/auth-master=
>
> In maillog I'm getting:
> deliver(sumbuddy): Can't connect to auth server at /var/run/dovecot//auth-master: Permission denied
> (I'm not sure where it's getting the "//" in the path either ...)
>

> Also I'm confused about whether I need the postfix options:
> maildrop_destination_recipient_limit=1
> dovecot_destination_concurrency_limit=1

Assuling "dovecot" is the name of the corresponsing transport in
master.cf, use
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

> or even whether these are current options in my version of postfix (they don't
> appear in main.cf.default)

they won't even appear in postconf output. Unlike most postfix
parameters, these have a "free" prefix. if you have a transport named
FOOBAR in master.cf, you can use FOOBAR_destination_recipient_limit in
main.cf.

> Does deliver require such limits on concurrency or # of recipients?

when delivering mail to a mailbox with a command, you need to pass one
recipient at a time. This is because if delivery fails for one recipient
and succeeds for another, the command has no way to tell postfix about
this (you need LMTP for such a functionality). so the choice is between:
saying "OK" and losing mail for one recipient, or saying "not ok" and
delivering multiple copies to the other.