[Dovecot] Mailbox consistency with multiple clients

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 22 23:02:00 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 12:06 +0100, Yates Ian Mr (ITCS) wrote:
> There's a mix of the following:
> 	Outlook
> 	Outlook express
> 	Thunderbird
> 	Squirrelmail (webmail)
>
> But we tried getting the users sharing the account to use just one
> client (squirrelmail) and they were still reporting the problem?!
>
> I forgot to say that they were working this way with no problems on
> dovecot 1.0.2 but since the migration to 1.1.3 we've had this problem.
>
> In an effort to help the situation I changed the following settings from
> the original, from enabling lazy writes to disabling:
> mbox_dirty_syncs: no
> mbox_lazy_writes: no

As long as you're using Dovecot's index files, these should make no
difference. Do they?

I find this problem really weird. If you're using a shared account, it's
exactly the same as if there were just a single user using multiple
clients. Or in Squirrelmail case the same as if the same user was logged
in multiple times with different web browsers. And in Squirrelmail case
it connects, does something for a short time and disconnects. Dovecot
doesn't even know if there are different users using it. So if it shows
different views for different users, then the exact same thing should be
happening also randomly to the same user even if s/he's the only one
logged in.

Are you using any kind of an IMAP proxy?