[Dovecot] authentication issue - dovecot + Mysql

Reinhard Sanjeet Lal sanjeet at getunwired.com.fj
Wed Sep 24 10:08:11 EEST 2008

Hi,

I have a FreeBSD 7.0 server with the following version of software's
installed:

postfix-2.5.4,1

postfixadmin-2.2.1.1

roundcube-0.2.a,1

php5

mysql-server-5.0.67

dovecot-1.1.3_1

Note that pre-reqs for all of the above also has been installed. I have used
this guide to walk myself through the setup :
http://www.purplehat.org/?page_id=4

My setup uses virtual domain and user style(mostly for hosting provider
type) , all stored into the Mysql db, now when I try to telnet to port 110
for pop test or even telnet for IMAP test , I get this error:

dovecot: Sep 24 18:51:49 Info: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1
attempts): user=<rein>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured

note : there are numerous of there errors , but I included only this.

Dovecot is not able to authenticate by using the query in its
dovecot-sql.conf file. I have tried a lot of tricks by changing the
mechanism MD5 , PLAIN LOGIN etc, but no avail.

Please , could someone assist me in solving this issue, not that I can send
and receive emails but pop and IMAP seems not to work , so is the  webmail
functionality .

Here is my dovecot -n output :

# 1.1.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf

log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log

protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s

ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/cert.pem

ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot/key.pem

disable_plaintext_auth: no

login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login

login_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login

login_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login

login_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login

login_greeting: Baby Is Ready.

login_greeting_capability(default): yes

login_greeting_capability(imap): yes

login_greeting_capability(pop3): no

verbose_proctitle: yes

first_valid_uid: 125

last_valid_uid: 125

first_valid_gid: 125

last_valid_gid: 125

mail_privileged_group: mail

mail_location: maildir:/usr/local/virtual/%d/%n

maildir_copy_preserve_filename: yes

mail_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

mail_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

mail_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3

mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota

mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota

mail_plugins(pop3): quota

mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap

mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap

mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3

imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail netscape-eoh
tb-extra-mailbox-se

imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail netscape-eoh
tb-extra-mailbox-sep

imap_client_workarounds(pop3):

pop3_enable_last(default): no

pop3_enable_last(imap): no

pop3_enable_last(pop3): yes

pop3_client_workarounds(default):

pop3_client_workarounds(imap):

pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

auth default:

  mechanisms: login plain cram-md5 digest-md5 plain login

  username_format: %Ln

  passdb:

    driver: sql

    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf

  userdb:

    driver: sql

    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf

  socket:

    type: listen

    client:

      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth

      mode: 432

      user: postfix

      group: postfix

    master:

      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

      mode: 384

 ____________________________
Reinhard Sanjeet Lal
Manager Network Operations

p + 679 3275040
f  + 679 3275053

m + 679 9923147
e  sanjeet at getunwired.com.fj
 <http://www.unwired.com.fj> www.unwired.com.fj
disclaimer

"This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete
it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the
writer only and are not endorsed by Unwired Fiji unless expressly stated
otherwise. Unwired Fiji has virus detection in place and makes every
reasonable effort to ensure that this message is free from viruses. However,
you should scan this message and any attachments for viruses. Under no
circumstances will Unwired Fiji accept liability for any loss or damage that
may result from your receipt of this message or any attachments."