[Dovecot] [Dovecot 1.1.3] Strange problem with attachment download

Thomas Gropp togro at fbta.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Sep 24 12:50:09 EEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I am testing Dovecot 1.1.3 at the moment to see if I can migrate from
UW-Imap(mbox) to Dovecot(maildir). Because I dont' want to influence the
production server I installed Dovecot on an ununsed computer with some
dummy-testusers using ssl and maildir. Installation was without any
problems and everything works fine with one exception: I cannot download
some attachments. If the attachment is a simple textfile or bitmap it's
ok, but everything else (pdf, zip, etc. - size doesn't matter) does not
work. Here is what happens:

1) I right-click on the attached file -> "save as" (using Thunderbird 2)
2) I choose a target dir (no matter if local disk or nfs)
3) the download-dialog pops up and says: "starting...."
4) nothing happens form then on

In the log file I see (lots of them for a single
"attachment-download-try" until I stop Thunderbird):
"dovecot: Fatal: IMAP(<username>): io_loop_handle_add: epoll_ctl(1, 1):
File exists" (which file??)

I googled this message but without success. I already tried having all
files on the local fs instead of nfs but it doesn't change anything. I
also tried a lot of different settings (concerning locking, nfs,
permissions) in the dovecot.conf. Everything else works just fine:
logging in, receiving, creating folders, deleting etc...)

Im using a (very) old SuSE 9.0 installation with ext2.
I put my (current) devecot.conf and the output of "dovecot -n" at the end.

As I have no idea what else to try/check:
Anyone out there who has a tip what else I could check to solve this? Or
even someone who had the same problem with a solution? ;o)

Thx
Thomas

my current dovecot.conf:
protocols = imaps
  protocol imap {
    listen = *:143        #  not active
    ssl_listen = *:446  #  for testing
  }
listen = *

disable_plaintext_auth = yes

ssl_disable = no

ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
verbose_ssl = yes

login_greeting = Dovecot ready.

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

mmap_disable = yes
fsync_disable = no
mail_nfs_index = yes
lock_method = dotlock

maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
mbox_read_locks = dotlock_try
mbox_write_locks = dotlock_try

mbox_dotlock_change_timeout = 120

protocol imap {
}

protocol pop3 {
}

protocol lda {
 postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com
}

auth_debug = yes
auth default {
 mechanisms = plain
 passdb shadow {
 }
 userdb passwd {
 }
 user = root
}

dict {
}

plugin {
}

Output of dovecot -n
# 1.1.3: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imaps
ssl_listen: *:446
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file: /etc/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
mmap_disable: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes