[Dovecot] Squat memory usage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 2 22:14:31 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:03 -0600, Ryan wrote:
> I've been reading about using Squat with Dovecot on large mailboxes. I
> was wondering if some of the memory usage during searching and indexing
> could be reduced by using a berkeley db? I've used this in the past for
> something similar and in BTREE mode it was very fast for millions of
> keys. I havent had time to look at how squat is implemented, but I
> thought I'd throw it out there...

The problem that Squat tries to solve is searching substrings. Btrees
aren't very helpful there.

Or there is an alternative way to implement substring searches with
btrees by separately indexing all suffixes of all indexed words, but I
fear that would hugely bloat the database since each message has at
least one unique string. Although perhaps some kind of a hybrid approach
might work, where non-unique strings are indexed with btrees and unique
strings in the current Squat style index..