[Dovecot] Global Recipe Location

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Sun Apr 5 19:23:31 EEST 2009

James Butler schreef:
> Hmmm. I'm having difficulty finding a good place for a global Sieve script.
First of all, you should start a new thread (i.e. don't reply on an
existing message) if you have a completely new question. Otherwise, some
people may miss it and you'll mess the threads up in general.

> The problem seems to be related to saving the compiled version
> (xxx.svbin.tmp) in the same location as the script (xxx.sieve), which
> happens using the credentials of the recipient user.
The .svbin.tmp is a temporary version of the binary that is produced
(and removed) when the script is recompiled. So, the actual name for the
Sieve binary is global.svbin.

> i.e.
>
> drwxr-xr-x dovecoter dovecoter /scripts
> -rw-r--r-- dovecoter dovecoter /scripts/global.sieve
> -rw------- recipient USERGROUP /scripts/global.svbin.tmp
>
> Where should I be storing a global script that will process all incoming
> mail, and is not user-specific? Also, I would love some suggestions
> regarding how the permissions should be set, or anything that would make
> this work as expected.

The main problem is that the recipient users will not be able to write
in the global directory, or they are not able to replace an existing
binary with a recompiled version. This makes it impossible for deliver
to store compiled global script binaries (it will work though). To
prevent this, you must manually pre-compile your global scripts using
the sievec tool each time you change them. Read the man page for more info.

> (Also, is there any documentation available regarding this type of thing?)
It is documented somewhat, but not that clearly obviously. :/

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl