[Dovecot] Dovecot, LVS and the issues I have with it.

Mon Apr 6 16:23:23 EEST 2009

On 4/6/2009, neil (neil.townsend at switchmedia.co.uk) wrote:
> We run around 5 dovecot (debian etch 1.0.rc15) POP/IMAP 'nodes' using
> the LVS load balancer and an NFS based SAN. it works pretty well. I
> love the robustness of load balancing POP/IMAP.  We do a reasonable
> amount of throughput through these especially at peak times pushing
> our SAN to around 1.5k IOP/s
>
> We currently have two issues with this setup. One of which is NFS
> index corruption issues we get due to NFS/dovecot locking. Basically
> the UUID list or a .index gets corrupt.

One word: upgrade.

1.0rc15 is totally outdated and unsupported. There have been so many
fixed since then - many of which relate directly to NFS problems - they
are too numerous to list.

Personally, I'd go ahead and move to 1.2 rc2 (once you've got it working
on a test server), but you need to go to at least 1.1.13...

--

Best regards,

Charles