[Dovecot] Dovecot, LVS and the issues I have with it.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 8 19:59:25 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 12:42 +0100, neil wrote:
> We currently have two issues with this setup. One of which is NFS index
> corruption issues we get due to NFS/dovecot locking. Basically the UUID
> list or a .index gets corrupt. This causes a full re-indexing of the
> mailbox / broken mailbox until i delete the indexes. In the UUID lists
> case the symptom tends to effect use who use POP rather than IMAP and
> insist on keeping messages on the server. Because it's corrupt it gets
> rebuilt one way or the other and the users email client proceeds to
> redownload the entire mailbox again until he remarks them to be saved.
> This tends to annoy the user a lot. After a bit of testing we do however
> expect this to be fixed by version 1.1. However if anyone has any
> comments on this I would certainly be interested.

v1.1 at least handles it much better.

> 1. We obviously reach the auth thread cap eventually so any new auth
> requests basically get refused by the server.

Auth thread? Do you mean the max. number of login connections/processes?
Do you have login_process_per_connection=no? That might help.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess

> 2. Now here's my real gripe. Dovecot does not handle running out
> resources very gracefully at all in our setup. It does start killing
> threads after a while. I get multiple *"dovecot: child 17989 (login)
> killed with signal 9".

Dovecot doesn't kill them, kernel kills them.

> *I'm not exactly sure what's going on here
> because after this all I can see is the machine totally out of memory
> and the kernel starts killing absolutely everything. All services are
> killed (including ssh etc..) and I plug a monitor into the server and
> find the last few lines of the console listing init and other rather
> important things having just been killed. At this point it is a case of
> power cycling the server and all is back to normal again.

Maybe it would help to change max_mail_processes to a lower number,
those are probably the ones eating the memory.

dovecot -n output might have been helpful also in giving some
suggestions.