[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Tom Metro tmetro+dovecot at vl.com
Tue Apr 7 21:57:36 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> deliver is the binary name.
>
> a) deliver binary, protocol deliver {}

The problem I have with the deliver name in general is that there is a
pre-existing LDA project[1] with the same name, and even within the
scope of the Dovecot mailing list, it isn't a unique term, so it makes
it harder to sift out information specific to the LDA sub-project.

1. http://packages.debian.org/etch/deliver

> c) dovecot-lda binary, protocol lda {}

This gets my vote. (Assuming "Dovecot-lda" replaces the "deliver" name
in the documentation, as well.)

> c) and e) choices also makes me think if e.g. imap and imap-login should
> be called dovecot-imap and dovecot-imap-login instead. People have had
> trouble finding them since ps|grep dovecot doesn't find them..

Agreed.

  -Tom