[Dovecot] deliver vs lda

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Apr 8 00:51:04 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 04:01, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> deliver is the binary name. but it's configured inside protocol lda {}
> section. This is getting annoying, any thoughts on what would be a good
> unifying name?

annoying? who complains? I suspect a negligible number of people.

> a) deliver binary, protocol deliver {}

changing protocol would be a huge mistake due to its current widespread
use and I can envisage many many many complaints of "it stopped working"
etc,  lets face it, most people don't read changelogs in detail, if at
all, and almost all are used in automated startups so start-up warnings
are not really much use.

> c) dovecot-lda binary, protocol lda {}

if you absolutely must change the binary name, then C would be my
option, but be warned of the above caution for this as well.

Basically, if it aint broke, why break it?