[Dovecot] Indexing of mails to speed up the IMAP SEARCH command

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 9 01:09:43 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 21:09 +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> I use a local dovecot server which is synchronized with my two imap
> accounts using OfflineIMAP.  This works very nice and is highly usable.
>
> But one thing I'd like to improve is the slow IMAP search.  When I
> search for a string in the subjects of all messages in a mailbox using
> some mail client, dovecot seems to grep all the messages in there.

Subject (or any other header) search should be fast, at least after the
first one. The subjects should then (if not before) be stored in
dovecot.index.cache file, and the search should be over in less than a
second even with tens of thousands of messages. If this isn't happening
with you, something's wrong. What Dovecot version are you using?

For message body indexing there are a couple of choices:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS