[Dovecot] auth-master: Permission denied [sigh]

James Butler jbutler at thebestdefense.com
Wed Apr 15 01:16:01 EEST 2009

> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 07:52, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>

>> Perhaps you shouldn't be using the pipe at all. Maybe you should just
>> put the command to mailbox_command and have it do all the work? Then
>> there's no need to worry about things like setuid-roots or whatever.
>

> Given what his conf showed before he's using local users only, so your
> right, he'd be better off using something
> like   mailbox_command = /path/to/procmail  ... and let procmail deal
> with SA and be done with it.
>
> If he wants advanced he needs to be using MailScanner or amavisd-new,
> but I think they're overkill for what he wants,  so procmail would be
> better suited.

Already went through Procmail. It knows nothing about Dovecot's mail
structure, so everything still needs to be piped through deliver.

In addition, there was/is an issue with Procmail not resolving the {HOME}
variable correctly in a Maildir system. Works great with Sendmail and
mbox's, just not so good with Maildir's. Again, I couldn't get anyone to
share a successful setup, and in fact nobody on the Procmail list had ever
gotten Postfix+Procmail+Spamassassin+Dovecot working, so that attempt
died.

MailScanner is slowly in the process of being attempted, even though it is
simply a wrapper that accepts the mail from Postfix then pipes it over to
Spamassassin and other programs like AV apps. When I received your
suggestion to try those two programs, yesterday, I started installing all
of the various Perl modules required by MailScanner, but it's gotten hung
up by not recognizing that MailTools' lates version is, in fact, installed
and available, so I stopped working on MailScanner until
Postfix+Spamassassin+Dovecot completely ends its run.

Amavisd-new is another type of Perl wrapper. I guess I will need to try
that one, if all else fails. I'm not a big fan of wrapping stuff in Perl.

I am not yet satisfied that Postfix+Spamassassin+Dovecot will not work.

James (probably related to Noel, but not invited to Christmas Dinner. :( )