[Dovecot] UW-IMAP migration to namespaces

Jernej Porenta jernej.porenta at arnes.si
Fri Apr 17 13:37:55 EEST 2009

Hello,

I am trying to migrate existing UW-IMAP installation to dovecot 1.1.14
and I am having troubles with namespaces.

As you know UW-IMAP allows full system access to home directory of a
user and you can set up dovecot to do that as well, but I would like to
use namespaces.

If I set my namespaces like this:
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
   location = mbox:~/:INBOX=~/.mailbox
   hidden = yes
   list = yes
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = mail/
   location = mbox:~/mail
   prefix = mail/
   hidden = yes
}

Everything is working fine, but I am seeing also all other files in home
directory of a user, but this is annoying if you have users with
public_html folder with millions of files in it. Dovecot indexing makes
index.log file for every file seen in namespace, so you have several
million index files for files that are not mailboxes.

So I was wondering is there a way to skip certain directories in
namespaces or a way to setup namespaces in a way, that you would have:
- INBOX in home directory
- some folders in home directory (via .subscriptions)
- some folders in %h/mail/ directory
- and not seeing all other files/directories in home dir

Thanks in advance,

regards, Jernej