[Dovecot] Multiple instances and/or separate certificates per email address

Simon L Jackson simon.jackson at carringbush.net
Fri Apr 17 15:03:11 EEST 2009

Hi,

We have a mail server with multiple instances of Postfix each listening
on a different IP address to create a set of virtual mail servers. There
are various reasons why separate instances of Postfix seems to work best
to achieve this goal, but I wont divert into that discussion here.

I would like so match this with Dovecot. The listening side isn't a
problem as Dovecot can listen on multiple explicit IP addresses.
However, we would prefer a separate SSL certificate for each virtual
mail server i.e. for each IP address. Would it be better to have
multiple instances of Dovecot on the server (not sure what the issues
might be with this) or would it be better/easier to be able to specify
separate SSL certificates for each listen address, since there isn't any
other reason I can see to have multiple instances.

Any thought? Is there a way to do this now or would this be a new
feature request?

Cheers

--
Simon L Jackson