[Dovecot] Mailbox is locked?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Apr 23 07:53:16 EEST 2009

Hello,

I recently upgraded from Dovecot 1.1.8 to 1.1.14, and I've started to
get errors I never got before. Specifically, I'm getting "Mailbox is
locked, will abort in xx seconds" errors. My mail client (mutt) will
just sit there in the background (presumably in IDLE) and randomly
will show this error (I THINK it has something to do with delivering
new messages to the folder; I use the dovecot LDA).

Nothing else about my configuration has changed, just the version of
dovecot. Does anyone know what could be causing these? I assume it has
something to do with the index files, but... Nothing interesting shows
up in the log files. How do I get rid of these error messages? Or even
begin tracking them down?

For what it's worth, mail is stored on the server in Maildirs, and the
lock_method is fcntl, the mbox_write_locks is fcntl (I don't set
mbox_read_locks).

~Kyle
--
For to accuse, requires less eloquence, such is man's nature, than to
excuse; and condemnation, than absolution more resembles justice.