[Dovecot] Mailbox is locked?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 23 08:18:14 EEST 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 12:53 AM, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> I recently upgraded from Dovecot 1.1.8 to 1.1.14, and I've started
> to get errors I never got before. Specifically, I'm getting "Mailbox
> is locked, will abort in xx seconds" errors. My mail client (mutt)
> will just sit there in the background (presumably in IDLE) and
> randomly will show this error (I THINK it has something to do with
> delivering new messages to the folder; I use the dovecot LDA).
>
> Nothing else about my configuration has changed, just the version of
> dovecot. Does anyone know what could be causing these? I assume it
> has something to do with the index files, but... Nothing interesting
> shows up in the log files. How do I get rid of these error messages?
> Or even begin tracking them down?

Do you actually notice something being broken/hanging or is it just
that it gives those messages? Do the xx seconds ever reach below 119?
I added those notifications only recently and I guess it's possible
that sometimes it gives them way too early (and actually I remember
seeing one myself once). Hmm. Yeah, looks like the code doesn't really
even try to prevent that. I'll add some check to make it hide them
until at least 15 seconds has passed.