[Dovecot] %d does not expand to domain

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Tue Apr 28 00:23:53 EEST 2009

On M 27 Apr, 2009, at 20:31 , Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 17:31 +0200, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
>> and for authentication:
>>
>>   username_format: %Ln
>
> This drops the domain part entirely, so after processing this %d will
> return empty. If you don't want it, try to figure out another way to
> do
> this. You didn't say what passdb you're using, so I can't give an
> example.

Ah, do you mean that the following:

# Username formatting before it's looked up from databases. You can use
# the standard variables here, eg. %Lu would lowercase the username,
%n would
# drop away the domain if it was given, or "%n-AT-%d" would change the
'@' into
# "-AT-". This translation is done after auth_username_translation
changes.
auth_username_format = %Ln

actually changes the username supplied, not just for database lookups
(including the system passwd that I use), but also for subsequent uses
that do not involve any more lookups (like in the mail_location). I
think this should be specified clearly (might be somewhere, I haven't
read the whole documentation).
I do not see, but I must be mistaken, why the supplied credentials are
not left alone, and the transformed value only used for the lookups.
As it is some variables will have little use outside of database
lookups!

For me it's not a big deal, as was trying this only to give a
different layout to users' mailboxes.

Thanks

Giuliano