[Dovecot] %d does not expand to domain

Giuliano Gavazzi dev+lists at humph.com
Tue Apr 28 12:18:20 EEST 2009

On M 27 Apr, 2009, at 23:23 , Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:
> For me it's not a big deal, as was trying this only to give a
> different layout to users' mailboxes.

but it would be a big deal if I wanted to create domain specific
public mailboxes.
In order to allow extra parameters passed by the client (like in this
case the domain name) to survive for subsequent use, perhaps there
should be a username_format for all passdb (and userdb) methods, like
the is for passwd-file. One could then let auth_username_format alone
and preserve the %d variable for subsequent use. If I did not want %d
to be used at all, I would not specify it in the client configuration
from the start...

The documentation would have to be quite clear though, as
auth_username_format seems more specific to authentication/
authorisation, while username_format would seem a global one, while,
as it is now, auth_username_format rewrites globally the username, and
username_format is specific to the authentication/authorization where
it is allowed and defined.

Giuliano