[Dovecot] multiple auth-client sockets

LEVAI Daniel leva at ecentrum.hu
Sun Aug 9 12:43:12 EEST 2009

Hi!

I'm gonna need to use dovecot's auth-client socket in an authentication
program. Now the auth-client socket is only used by my MTA, which is postfix.
Because postfix's smtpd process (which uses the auth-client socket) runs
chrooted under postfix's spool directory, I must create the auth-client socket
under that spool directory. However, to reach that socket from another
chrooted program is impossible. Can I create multiple instances of auth-client
sockets? I tried to define another client {} stanza in socket listen {} in
dovecot.conf, but only the last client socket got created.
I need only a true or false response from dovecot regarding the
authentication, and I thought that this is exactly what auth-client socket
will do. However, if I can not reach it, is there any alternative to this?
What's up with the auth-master or auth-worker sockets? Are they capable of
respond to an auth request too?

btw, I'm running dovecot-1.2.3

Thanks!

Daniel