[Dovecot] User Auth

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 9 22:15:15 EEST 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 17:40 +0100, Richard Harwood wrote:

> /var/spool/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/name

> mail_location: mbox:/var/spool/mail/vhosts/%d:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/vhosts/%d/%n

With above configuration all users within the domain share all their
non-INBOX mailboxes. Is this really what you wanted?

>   passdb:
>     driver: passwd-file
>     args: /etc/passwd.dovecot
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
> --
>
> Password excepted, my passwd.dovecot file containing a single virtual
> user looks like:
>
> richard:{plain}password:504:505::/home/vmail

Then you should configure dovecot to use userdb passwd-file { .. }
instead of using userdb passwd (which uses your /etc/passwd).

Also don't make home directory shared across users. Instead I'd do
something like:

home = /var/spool/mail/vhosts/domain.tld/name

mail_location = mbox:~/mail