[Dovecot] Dovecot Versions and Debian

Stefan Förster cite+dovecot-users at incertum.net
Wed Aug 12 15:55:09 EEST 2009

* Mario Antonio <support at webjogger.net>:
> In previous emails, Stephan stated:
> "As the WIKI states: do *NOT* use these packages for systems that need
> to be *STABLE*! This is rebuilt every hour from repository commits from
> Timo and myself and if/when one of us commits a mistake, your setup will
> break accordingly upon upgrade. This is for testing purposes only."
>
> My guess he is just referring to the DEB packages ...
>
> So do you consider safe to use the source package ....?

Of course this is safe. Just kidding.

If you want to compile these source packages, take _one_ version,
compile it and then test it thoroughly. If it passes all testing, then
put it into staging, test more, and only if it passes all test again,
move it to production environment.

And don't upgrade every time a new source package is available.

As always, you should know what you are doing if you install packages
provided by third parties, be it binaries or sources you compile
yourself. Example: The sources come with a "2:" epoch. If one day, the
next stable version of Debian comes with "1:1.2.8" and you previously
installed your freshly built "2:1.2.1", then the upgrade process will
not replace your old, outdated, built-from-source packages.

Cheers
Stefan