[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Wed Aug 12 21:35:02 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Also the mime structure could be torn apart to store
>> attachments individually - the motivation being single instance storage
>> of large attachments with identical content...  Anyway, these seem like
>> very speculative directions...
>>

> Yes, this is also something in dbox's far future plans.

Speaking as a pathetic little admin of a small site of 20 users, my
needs for replication & scalability are quite minor.  However,
single-instance storage would be a miracle of biblical proportions.  Has
any progress been made on this?  Do you have a roadmap for how you plan
on implementing it?

I don't know if you've considered this at all - this was my first thought:

If you're able to store a message with the attachments separately, then
you can come up with an attachment database (not meaning to imply SQL
backend).  Then after breaking the message up into message +
attachments, you scan the attachment database to see if it is already
present prior to saving it.  This could mean that not only could we save
on the huge space wasted by idiots merrily forwarding large attachments
to multiple people, but even received mails with embedded graphical
signatures would benefit.
--
Daniel