[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 12 21:51:02 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 11:35 -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> >> Also the mime structure could be torn apart to store
> >> attachments individually - the motivation being single instance storage
> >> of large attachments with identical content...  Anyway, these seem like
> >> very speculative directions...
> >>

> > Yes, this is also something in dbox's far future plans.
> >
> Speaking as a pathetic little admin of a small site of 20 users, my
> needs for replication & scalability are quite minor.  However,
> single-instance storage would be a miracle of biblical proportions.  Has
> any progress been made on this?

Do you need per-MIME part single instance storage, or would per-email be
enough? Since the per-email can already done with hard links.

> Do you have a roadmap for how you plan on implementing it?

I've written about it a couple of times I think, but no specific plans.
Something about using hashes anyway.

> I don't know if you've considered this at all - this was my first thought:
>
> If you're able to store a message with the attachments separately, then
> you can come up with an attachment database (not meaning to imply SQL
> backend).  Then after breaking the message up into message +
> attachments, you scan the attachment database to see if it is already
> present prior to saving it.  This could mean that not only could we save
> on the huge space wasted by idiots merrily forwarding large attachments
> to multiple people, but even received mails with embedded graphical
> signatures would benefit.

Yes, that's pretty much how I thought about it. It's anyway going to be
dbox-only feature. Would be way too much trouble with other formats.