[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Wed Aug 12 22:34:40 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>>> Yes, this is also something in dbox's far future plans.
>>>

>> Speaking as a pathetic little admin of a small site of 20 users, my
>> needs for replication & scalability are quite minor.  However,
>> single-instance storage would be a miracle of biblical proportions.  Has
>> any progress been made on this?
>>

> Do you need per-MIME part single instance storage, or would per-email be
> enough? Since the per-email can already done with hard links.

Definitely per MIME part.
>> Do you have a roadmap for how you plan on implementing it?
>>

> I've written about it a couple of times I think, but no specific plans.
> Something about using hashes anyway.
>

>> I don't know if you've considered this at all - this was my first thought:
>>
>> If you're able to store a message with the attachments separately, then
>> you can come up with an attachment database (not meaning to imply SQL
>> backend).  Then after breaking the message up into message +
>> attachments, you scan the attachment database to see if it is already
>> present prior to saving it.  This could mean that not only could we save
>> on the huge space wasted by idiots merrily forwarding large attachments
>> to multiple people, but even received mails with embedded graphical
>> signatures would benefit.
>>

> Yes, that's pretty much how I thought about it. It's anyway going to be
> dbox-only feature. Would be way too much trouble with other formats.

dbox-only is fine.  I could care less about the storage method chosen -
filesystem, db, encrypted, whatever - but I believe the impact on
storage - and possibly indexes & searching - would be huge.

On the personal greedy side, if you want to see a mass corporate
migration to Dovecot, with potential service contracts - that would be a
feature worth talking about.  I can see IT manager's eyes light up at
hearing about such a item - and I've never heard of any other mail
server supporting such a thing.
--
Daniel