[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Wed Aug 12 22:42:45 EEST 2009

On 8/12/2009, Daniel L. Miller (dmiller at amfes.com) wrote:
> dbox-only is fine.  I could care less about the storage method chosen
> - filesystem, db, encrypted, whatever - but I believe the impact on
> storage - and possibly indexes & searching - would be huge.

It would be huge for us and anyone else that deals with a lot of large
attachments (we're in the advertising industry).

> On the personal greedy side, if you want to see a mass corporate
> migration to Dovecot, with potential service contracts - that would
> be a feature worth talking about.  I can see IT manager's eyes light
> up at hearing about such a item

Mine are shining right now... ;)

> - and I've never heard of any other mail server supporting such a
> thing.

Exchange does... and is the single and only reason I have *considered*
switching to it <shudder> in the past few years...

--

Best regards,

Charles