[Dovecot] Scalability plans: Abstract out filesystem and make it someone else's problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 12 23:02:25 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 15:33 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 8/12/2009, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> > Do you need per-MIME part single instance storage, or would per-email be
> > enough? Since the per-email can already done with hard links.
>
> The only thing I can find about this on the wiki is where it says single
> instance attachment storage (for dbox) is planned. Is how to accomplish
> single instance email storage documented anywhere? And is this reliable
> enough to use on a production system?

Two possible ways:

a) Just write a script to find identical mails and replace them with
hard links to the same file. :)

b) Use deliver -p <file> for delivering mails. You'll probably need to
write some kind of a script for delivering mails, so that when it gets
called with multiple recipients it can write the mail to a temp file and
call deliver -p for each recipient using the same file.

So yeah, either one are as reliable as the script :)