[Dovecot] dovecot auth is case insensitive, but fs is sensitive :)

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Aug 19 11:01:19 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 01:41 -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2009, at 1:37 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>
> > others have found this problem ?
>
> Dovecot auth isn't case-insensitive. But MySQL is, and I guess you're
> using it? There are several different ways around it.

Which is not a problem since most (all) MTA's  normally treat user@  as
case insensitive.

Only an incompetently written portal or mail-management
script/software/setup  would allow a user  foo@  *and then*  allow FOO@
or Foo@ etc to be added.

If you use management software that does that, dump it, and if it's
in-house written, I'd kick the programmers ass for allowing it to be so
poorly designed in the first place.

RFC2821
The local-part of a mailbox
   MUST BE treated as case sensitive.  Therefore, SMTP implementations
   MUST take care to preserve the case of mailbox local-parts.  Mailbox
   domains are not case sensitive.  In particular, for some hosts the
   user "smith" is different from the user "Smith".

However, exploiting  the case sensitivity of mailbox local-parts impedes
interoperability
   and is discouraged.
So although permitted, it is only a fool that actually does it.