[Dovecot] SOT: Removing _extra_ linefeeds from MSOutlook(?) messages

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Thu Aug 20 20:39:55 EEST 2009

I realize this is sorta off topic but my searches using Google have got
me mostly no where.  So I thought I'd ask here as there is a lot of
_past Postfix_ mail handling issues discussed.

The issue is; I have to deal with a lot of messages that come from MS
Outlook users and sometimes they are replies to replies to replies ...
My reading indicates it has a little to do with HTML composed messages
and the format=flowed declaration.

This produces messages with *lot* of extra line feeds.  Makes the
messages nearly unreadable -- in Thunderbird.  I'm sure others have got
two line (sentence) messages that took 6+ lines to display.  Then when
they are replies or forwards it is even more.  Every line gets two
NLs/CRLFs.

Anyone have a suggestion of how to _strip_ multiple line feeds from a
message?  Is there a sieve method/way?  I don't want to fiddle with all
the users emails just my own.

Pointers, ideas, clues?

\\||/
Rod