[Dovecot] dovecot-auth failed: Not enough space

S. A. Woltering Ashley.Woltering at ecmwf.int
Mon Aug 24 16:52:39 EEST 2009

Dear all,

I've been trying to get a Dovecot IMAP service running under HP-UX
11.23, IA64. The system has 6GB of spare space under /var and at least
the same amount of RAM free at the current time.

I've compiled from the latest source (1.2.4), using the following options:

# CC="/opt/aCC/bin/aCC" ./configure --prefix=/opt/dovecot
... usual make && make install

My config file follows at the end.

In essence, every time I attempt to start dovecot
(/opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot, with no options)

I get the following on the command line:
Warning: Last died with error (see error log for more information): Auth
process died too early - shutting down
Info: If you have trouble with authentication failures,
enable auth_debug setting. See http://wiki.dovecot.org/WhyDoesItNotWork

Looking into /var/adm/syslog/mail.log, the lines associated with this
run read:
Aug 24 14:46:25 bilbo dovecot: Dovecot v1.2.4 starting up
Aug 24 14:46:25 bilbo dovecot: Fatal:
execv(/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth) failed: Not enough space
Aug 24 14:46:25 bilbo dovecot: Fatal: Auth process died too early -
shutting down

I've switched over to using a static passwd file type auth and I still
get the same error.

Hoping someone has some idea why this is happening...
Thanks,
Ashley

## Dovecot configuration file
##
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot
protocols = imap
listen = *
disable_plaintext_auth = no
shutdown_clients = yes

##
## Logging
##
log_timestamp = "%b %d %H:%M:%S "
syslog_facility = mail

##
## SSL settings
##
#ssl_listen =
ssl = no

##
## Login processes
##
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_chroot = yes
login_user = dovecot

##
## Mailbox locations and namespaces
##
mail_location = maildir:/mail%h/Maildir

##
## IMAP specific settings
##
protocol imap {
  login_executable = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
  mail_executable = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap
  #imap_max_line_length = 65536
  mail_max_userip_connections = 10
  #mail_plugins =
  mail_plugin_dir = /opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot/imap
  imap_logout_format = bytes=%i/%o
  #imap_capability =
  #imap_idle_notify_interval = 120
  #imap_id_send =
  #imap_id_log =
  #imap_client_workarounds =
}

##
## Authentication processes
##
auth_executable = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-auth
auth_username_chars =
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@

auth default {
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /opt/dovecot/etc/imap-passwd.txt
  }
}

- --
Steven-Ashley Woltering, Systems Analyst,
ECMWF, Shinfield Park, Reading, RG2 9AX, UK
Tel.: +44 1189 499473 (internal x2473)
Email: Steven.Woltering at ecmwf.int