[Dovecot] High load with Thunderbird

Mon Aug 24 17:09:11 EEST 2009

On 8/24/2009, Emmanuel Seyman (eseyman at edd.fr) wrote:
> I'm using Dovecot 1.0.15 on our internal mail server and I'm seeing
> a high load from one of our users.

Upgrading might help (1.0.15 is old), but there are lots of things that
can cause this.

> This user uses Thunderbird (with the IMAP protocol) and the load
> average of the server goes through the roof every once in a while.
> I'ld like to understand why we're seeing this and whether the blame
> should be put on Thunderbird or on Dovecot.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this before?

dovecot -n output and logs exhibiting the problem will go a long way to
providing an answer.

Obvious possibility: is the user moving/deleting a large number of
messages at once?

Again, upgrading is highly recommended (1.2.4 is current stable), but
I'd also suggest reading about optimizing at the bottom of this page:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

--

Best regards,

Charles