[Dovecot] sieve vacation response

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Aug 24 17:50:35 EEST 2009

bart wrote:
> Jure Pečar wrote:
>>> Currently, you need to add all allowed aliases to the :addresses
>>> argument of the vacation command. My TODO list contains a new feature
>>> that lets you extract additional valid aliases directly from a
>>> dictionary (e.g. an SQL database). It is not at the top of my TODO list
>>> yet, but since you are not the only one needing this, I'll give it some
>>> more priority.
>>>
>> Also :addresses ["*"] would be ok, without the need to explicitly list all
>> addresses.
>>

> You can circumvent explicitly listing all addresses by doing something
> like this:
>
> require ["variables", "envelope", "vacation"];
> if envelope :matches "to" "*" {
>   set "envto" "${1}";
>   vacation
>   :addresses ["${envto}"]
>   "vacation message here...";
> }

Iew, scary things one can do with the variables extension. :) Wouldn't
surprise me when the specification authors did not consider this in
their efforts to write the vacation RFC.

Beware that this solution will cause vacation responses to be sent when
the mailbox is part of a multi-drop alias (an ad-hoc mailinglist). This
is usually not what you want. When a large group is collectively on
vacation, an unfortunate sender could receive many useless and redundant
vacation responses from the implicit recipients. Basically, this means
that potentially a response is sent for all implicitly delivered messages.

These considerations are also true for the "*" implementation suggested
above.

Regards,

Stephan.