[Dovecot] Per user namespace

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Aug 24 20:13:57 EEST 2009

    I'm in the process of upgrading an old server which is running
uw-imap to a new one running Dovecot.  With the old machine,
unfortunately, my users had the opportunity to store their e-mails in
various locations.  For example, some have their mail boxes stored in
~/mail/[various mbox files], others ALSO have a ~/mail/clients/[various
mbox files] and yet others simply stored them in their ~/ path (thanks
to the old IMAP).  Is there a way to create per-user namespaces?  I
don't want to create a "mail/", "mail/clients/", etc., etc. global name
space that will end up showing up on everyone's mail client, nor do I
want to individually change each user's setup (and rewrite their
.subscriptions file).

    Any solutions here, or am I SOL?

    AMK4

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.