[Dovecot] Dovecot + DRBD/GFS mailstore

Eric Jon Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 25 21:49:47 EEST 2009

Quoting Romer Ventura <rventura at h-st.com>:

> Last time i checked the free version of DRBD only supports 2 nodes.

Correct.  But RHCS supports more, and works best with an off number
(to prevent cluster splits, etc).

> The paid version supports 16 nodes.

I think there are some limits on that too...  Like two read-write nodes,
plus more failover nodes?  Not sure though.

> This however, doesnt mean that you cannot use the storage via NFS or
> SMB/CIFS mount point. Only that

Or, since I'm using GFS, via gnbd or such also.

> the DRBD replication will only happen to 2 nodes. If a third node is
> supported on the free version, it would be for quorum only.

I'm using the 3rd node only with RHCS, not with DRBD.  The webmail needs
to actual access to the file storage, it does everything via IMAP calls
to dovecot.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

This message is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied.  Use this message at your own risk.