[Dovecot] scalability and arhive ideas

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 25 17:54:21 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 11:00 -0300, fernando at dfcom.com.br wrote:
> this is very weird and (at same time) very interesting approach. Instead
> of put all messages into one maildir and this maildir into one server,
> this "maildir" (?) is spplited among many servers - so, if one servers
> fails the account is still acessible and they move old/big messages to a
> new "cheap" storage - archiving transparently.

Well, this is somewhat related to the filesystem abstraction that I'm
planning. You'll just need to implement a filesystem that allows
distributing a single user's mails to multiple servers. That's actually
also what I was planning on doing by using some existing database for
that (Cassandra?) And sure it would be possible to implement all of that
on my own, but probably it's too much trouble..