[Dovecot] scalability and arhive ideas

fernando at dfcom.com.br fernando at dfcom.com.br
Tue Aug 25 18:12:28 EEST 2009

Hi Timo,

Yes it´s related, but I don´t understand '... You'll just need to
implement a filesystem that allows distributing a single user's mails to
multiple servers ...'.

My idea is just in the direction that we don´t need to care about
filesystem, we don´t need any distribuited filesystem...let it be as user
wants....at any some proxy level, the end storage can be ext3, reiser, S.O
linux, freebsd, and so on.  I think that the more elements we insert, the
more complex and hard to mount/debug the solution would be.

Administrator maintains storage pairs, with any o.s/filesystem he wants-
his only work would be to create the accounts and folders at each storage
server (if you create a folder - you create at three servers - the same
for accounts) and set a database with the servers envolved at the process.
The account structure must be sync'ed, and messages will be stored where
the users want to.

I also like the idea to user some database to store message index.

Fernando