[Dovecot] scalability and arhive ideas

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 25 18:21:50 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 12:12 -0300, fernando at dfcom.com.br wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> Yes it´s related, but I don´t understand '... You'll just need to
> implement a filesystem that allows distributing a single user's mails to
> multiple servers ...'.
>
> My idea is just in the direction that we don´t need to care about
> filesystem, we don´t need any distribuited filesystem...let it be as user
> wants....at any some proxy level, the end storage can be ext3, reiser, S.O
> linux, freebsd, and so on.  I think that the more elements we insert, the
> more complex and hard to mount/debug the solution would be.

I mean Dovecot accesses filesystem through a simple abstraction layer.
You wouldn't have to implement a real OS level filesystem, but you'd
implement a "proxying Dovecot-filesystem backend" that sits on top of
real filesystems. It's probably not much of a difference to what you're
thinking about, except in my mind it's entirely isolated from actual
Dovecot code. There's just a simple API that the backend needs to
implement and it'll work with Dovecot.

BTW. Maybe http://www.xtreemfs.org/ or http://www.gluster.org/ already
does what you're thinking about? I haven't looked at them closely
enough..