[Dovecot] Quick and dirty server optimized for IMAP upload speed?

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Sat Aug 29 03:38:26 EEST 2009

Early next week I need to upload over 100,000 emails to an IMAP server
as quickly as possible from an Outlook client. I am looking for any
methods I can use to (temporarily?) speed up the rate at which dovecot
can accept and store IMAP uploads, whether it be storing on local disk,
ram disk, etc.  I can setup a temporary server on a laptop for example
and once the upload has finished I can use standard file copying methods
to transfer the mail to stable, permanent storage.  I haven't been able
to see over about 7 msgs/sec upload speed from a local folder in any
mail client to dovecot (only NFS or ZFS backend tested so far with
Maildir).  Is there something horribly wrong with the speed I am seeing
or are there just tricks I can try?  Any tips?  I'll be working on it
all weekend until I find something satisfactory.  It seems like I can
upload mails to an Exchange server quicker.  I'll setup just about
anything that my experience allows me to, I can be very resourceful with
adhoc hardware and software.

Alternatively I'll take a fast way of converting Exchange email to a
tree of local mbox files which I can then run mb2md on.  I tried using
Thunderbird to Import the mails from Outlook and while it was fast, it
messed up the formatting of some of the mails so I don't think I can use
that.  I tried readpst briefly from libpst but it took a long time to
run, took alot of cpu, and was spewing lots of errors so I canceled it.

Thanks for any input!