[Dovecot] Quick and dirty server optimized for IMAP upload speed?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Aug 29 03:50:31 EEST 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 8:38 PM, Adam McDougall wrote:

> Early next week I need to upload over 100,000 emails to an IMAP
> server as quickly as possible from an Outlook client. I am looking
> for any methods I can use to (temporarily?) speed up the rate at
> which dovecot can accept and store IMAP uploads, whether it be
> storing on local disk, ram disk, etc.  I can setup a temporary
> server on a laptop for example and once the upload has finished I
> can use standard file copying methods to transfer the mail to
> stable, permanent storage.  I haven't been able to see over about 7
> msgs/sec upload speed from a local folder in any mail client to
> dovecot (only NFS or ZFS backend tested so far with Maildir).  Is
> there something horribly wrong with the speed I am seeing or are
> there just tricks I can try?  Any tips?  I'll be working on it all
> weekend until I find something satisfactory.  It seems like I can
> upload mails to an Exchange server quicker.  I'll setup just about
> anything that my experience allows me to, I can be very resourceful
> with adhoc hardware and software.

 From Dovecot's side the only thing you can do is fsync_disable=yes.
The main problem is probably network latency, because Outlook doesn't
support MULTIAPPEND extension (and perhaps not even LITERAL+
extension?) Did you already try running Dovecot on the same computer
as Outlook (some virtual thingy or maybe it works in cygwin)?

> Alternatively I'll take a fast way of converting Exchange email to a
> tree of local mbox files which I can then run mb2md on.

If the mails are in Exchange, can't you connect to it using IMAP?