[Dovecot] IMAP activity after disconnect

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Aug 29 08:57:41 EEST 2009

Howdy,

I'm running Dovecot 1.1.16 on a staging server to do some testing before
building a new server and moving a bunch of qmail/vpopmail/courier
accounts over.

I wanted to test the migration of courier accounts to dovecot with a few
clients, so I copied over a few large accounts.  All went well with a
small account (100+ messages) when accessing the account via POP - no
re-downloads after adjusting the uidl format.  IMAP looks good as well
after running the conversion script and setting the namespace properly.

However, one thing I copied over without paying much attention was a
non-quota'd spam box that has literally not been checked in at least a
year:

[root at nac /var/vmail/xxx.com/spork/Maildir/.Spam]# ls new/| wc
-l
    70501

Mail.app valiantly tried to sync this, but when I realized just how huge
this was, I took the account offline and quit the app.  However it seems
like Dovecot is still busy doing something in that mailbox:

lsof: no pwd entry for UID 5000
imap    27515     5000    7uW   VREG       0,95     3372  2968764
/jails/nac.xxx.com/var/vmail/xxx.com/spork/Maildir/.Spam/dovecot.index.log
lsof: no pwd entry for UID 5000
imap    27515     5000    8u    VREG       0,95      488  3007349
/jails/nac.xxx.com/var/vmail/xxx.com/spork/Maildir/.Spam/dovecot.index
lsof: no pwd entry for UID 5000
imap    27515     5000    9u    VREG       0,95    25195 27064933
/jails/nac.xxx.com/var/vmail/xxx.com/spork/Maildir/.Spam/dovecot-uidlist
lsof: no pwd entry for UID 5000
imap    27515     5000   10r    VDIR       0,95 15171072  2968758
/jails/nac.xxx.com/var/vmail/xxx.com/spork/Maildir/.Spam/new

My guess is it's trying to build an index.  This process is chewing up
100% of whatever cpu it lands on.  Is this expected behavior (not the huge
cpu usage, but the imap server continuing to work on the box after the
client has logged out)?

Are there any config settings I've missed to sort of put a cap on how much
cpu/time dovecot will spend on a task like this?  So far this has been
running for about 20 minutes.  I'm going to kill it and manually delete
the spam since I'm not familiar enough with gdb to dig in and see just
what it's doing (although my guess is indexing).

On the upside, I have some serious spam magnet addresses in this test
domain, so now I've got a great platform to test my amavis/postfix/policy
skills. :)

Thanks,

Charles

___